Hibbs and Heeks Pet Center Blog

Hibbs and Heeks Pet Center Blog offers commentary, articles, pet care tips, pet news and stories from other pet owners. You are encouraged to offer comments and stories of your pets for others to enjoy. We look forward to hearing from you.

Google

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Dog walker's, a hearty bunch

I don't know if you know any hard core dog walkers but I do. There are certain people in my neighborhood who have commited to walking their dog every day no matter what the weather. There is not much that will stop this bunch from completing that goal. Ah, a little rain won't hurt you, you won't melt and neither will the dog! Snow is just a small obstacle, as long as you are dressed for it. I can't tell you how many times I have been walking in the snow with my head somewhat down to keep the blowing snow out of my eyes and I see another dog walker coming from the other direction with the same posture. The bone chilling cold is another thing we prepare ourselves for and conquer with extra warm clothes and a brisk pace. The walk must go on!

Now heat is the problem for me and sometimes for the dogs. I still do the walk but it is sometimes very draining. I see my fellow dog walkers trudging along as well. We stop and talk for a moment with sweat dripping down our brows. Even the dogs barely greet each other in anticipation of continuing on to cool down or perhaps get into the pond to soak the belly.

One of the dogs is a Labrador Retriever named Ranger. He runs in headlong and swims in the pond. His person will throw something for him to fetch and off he goes into the water happy as a lark. Ranger is walked at least once and sometimes twice per day. Hibbs, Heeks and myself walk at least once per day. Now that the sun is up until later in the day we often walk after supper as well. The morning walk is the one where they both come. Hibbs will often sit out the evening walk.


There are morning and afternoon and evening dog walkers in my neighborhood. Some of the dog walkers are around during the day so they walk in the day time. Many of the walkers take the dogs out for a walk in the evening after work. I am not sure about the others but for myself the daily walk is as much for me as for my dogs. Not only are we getting exercise, we are socializing with others also. Hibbs and Heeks get along with most of the dogs we see on a regular basis. Some of the breeds in the neighborhood include, Maltese, Irish Setter, part Great Dane, Alaskan Malamute, Llasa Apso, Poodle, Pugs, Rottwieler, Beagles, Cocker Spaniels, several Labradors, as well as others that are walked less often than once per day.

Yes, we dog walkers are a hearty bunch. We have to be to continue our pursuit of a healthy existence for ourselves and our dogs. Come rain or come shine, we will perserve!
Donna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home